In addition to Scout Popcorn, ScoutTrees, and Apple Day, your group can hold their own fundraisers to help enhance your programme, and help alleviate the financial responsibility of parents and youth. We’ve included some ideas for fundraiser events on this page, just read the ideas below.
Before you start organising your event you need to look at the following
- The Group’s ability to raise money and how much money you need to raise
- When you plan your event always budget well and ensure your expenditure does not exceed the amount that can be achieved by ticket sales or other income.
- How much support do you have within your Group e.g. volunteers
- Do you have any specific skills available within your Group e.g. Accounting, fundraising etc
- Give yourself and your group lots of time to prepare
- To make your event successful make sure it is well publicised either by posters, radio or newspaper articles.
- You will need to carry out a risk assessment.
- Are there any fundraising events happening at the same time as yours
- Are there any legal aspects you need to cover.
- Do you need to take any extra insurance
Always remember to thank everyone involved before, during and after your fundraising event.
Why not hold a group barbeque as your next fundraising event? Start by inviting all your parents and family, and then find a spot you can start cooking! A public park, your meeting place, or local department store might be some good locations. Make sure you check with the owner of any stores you set up shop beside to make sure they approve.
Holding a community dance is a great way to run a very successful fundraiser. However, you must be willing to put in the time necessary to organize it properly. One smart idea is to check with your local schools and churches – find out when their dances are being held so you don’t overlap dates with theirs.
This fundraiser requires a relatively low amount of planning. Establish a place where members of your group can drop off itmes they can donate to the sale. This place could be at a leader’s house, or at your meeting hall. Have a night where you and other leaders sort through what has been collected into different price categories. Ask your youth to come sell all your stuff on the day of the fundraiser. Set up tables in a publically viewable area so as to attract passers-by.
London Scout’s Fundraising Activities
Conducting a fundraising activity is one of the best ways to earn money and have fun at the same time. What’s exciting is that you also get to socialize with other members of the troop and community.
However, when it comes to organising a fundraising activity, there are things you need to consider. Some of these are:
- The ability of your team to raise money
- The amount of money you need to earn
- The budget of the team
- The number of support or people who will be working with you
- The skills your people need to successfully conduct the fundraising event
- The time to prepare
- The ways to publicise your event. Can either be through posters, radio stations, or social networking sites
- The possible pros and cons of the event
- The goal of your event
- Other fundraising events that will take place on your desired date
- The legal papers you need to accomplish
Another purpose of fundraising events is to strengthen the bond between members. This is because it is an activity wherein everyone gets to do their part and help each other as well. The best thing is that you can also use your skills and talent to raise more funds.
Here are some of the best fundraising activities that you will definitely enjoy:
The Yard Sale
This type of activity does not really need thorough planning. All you need to do is to gather all of the things you want to get rid of and sell them in a garage or meeting hall. It is basically becoming the best merchant in town!
Marathon or Walkathon
It is the type of activity wherein you need to ask for permission if the team can use a park or street for the marathon or walkathon. You also need to wait for the approval to make sure that your activity is legal. When it comes to this kind of event, you also need to look for sponsors.
The best thing about this challenge is that you are inviting the whole community to have a fun workout session. All you need to do is to look for a place and fitness trainer to lead the activity. To make it exciting, turn the volume up and play some fun workout songs!
Informative or Inspirational Webinar
When conducting a webinar, you just need a camera, an expert, and a stable internet connection. The guest speaker can also be the CEO of a company or a professional in any field. It can also be an inspirational webinar.
Exciting Movie Night
To make sure that the movie night is successful, you just need to secure a place where people can gather and watch. You can also look for sponsors who can provide free snacks or drinks. Cookies baked by the London Scouts is also a good idea.
What are you waiting for? Join the troop and have fun with our fun activities!